Photography: A Cultural History (fourth edition) by Mary Warner Marien Criticizing Photographs (fifth edition) by Terry Barrett
Photography: 1900 to the Present by Diana Emery Hulick with Joseph Marshall. Recommended but not required.
Please read entire page!!! Summer School 2015 Photo 50B June 15, 2015
Kathleen Perry Photography Department
Teaching Schedule Summer 2015 Photo 50B History and Aesthetics of Photography Since 1945Online Classes Open on Monday, June 15th 2015 at 8:00am. Please be sure to log in on Insight and complete the assignments asked of you by Saturday, June 20th, 2015 at 11:00 pm in order to avoid being dropped from the class!
Head Start If you wish to get started on your reading early: Begin with Terry Barrett's Criticizing Photogaphs, fifth edition, chapters 1-4. Photography 50B. History and Aesthetics of Photography Since 1945
This course examines various aspects of photography, including photographers, photographs, and technical innovations, within their historical, social and cultural contexts. Although students will study photography as it has been applied to journalism, science, fashion, advertising, et cetera, emphasis will be on photography as art.
Recommended Prerequisites: ESL 140 or placement in 150 or completion of concurrent enrollment in ENGL90. Credit: 4.0 units. Credit earned in Photo 50B is accepted for transfer to the State Universities AND the University of California.Learning Outcomes:Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a broad understanding of the history of photography from 1945 to the present.
2. Identify characteristics of works, movements, and chronological periods relevant to photography.
3. Identify important inventions and processes that contributed to the creation and evolution of photography.
4. Explain the connections between works of art and their social, cultural, philosophical, and historical contexts.
5. Analyze and discuss the ideas presented in the readings and lectures as part of the participation component of the course.
6. Synthesize information about works of art and convey it in written and oral form throughout the semester.
Textbooks for Photo 50B Required Photography: A Cultural History (fourth edition) by Mary Warner Marien Criticizing Photographs (fifth edition) by Terry Barrett
Announcements Gallery Visit Please make an appointment to visit Pier 24 before the end of June. Make a reservation at http://www.pier24.org/visit/index.php
You can also visit one of the photography exhibits at 49 Geary Street.